Links to the Languages of Indigenous People
Below are the links to the external websites. Language Centre takes no responsibility for the content of these websites.
General Links / Europe / North America, Central America and South America / Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific
General links to materials useful for the learning, teaching and study of indigenous languages
- Endangered Languages pages from Tapani Salminen and Juha Jankunen
- Endangered Languages website with videos
- Ethnologue Catalogue of more than 6700 languages. From the Summer Institute of Linguistics.
- I love Languages Page Catalogue of language-related internet resources, from Tyler Chambers.
- Language Resources , from the Linguist List
- The Less Commonly Taught Languages Project from the University of Minnesota
- NativeWeb Resources for indigenous cultures around the world. Many resources. Refer in particular to their Languages and Linguistics search and browse facility.
- Netherland Centre for Indigenous People
- Numbers from 1 to 10 in Over 3800 Languages By Mark Rosenfelder.
- Teaching Indigenous Languages Includes papers from the annual Stabilizing Indigenous Languages Symposium.
- If you can't find the media you want in the language you want, try our multilingual page or the less commonly taught languages page.
- UNESCO redbook of Endangered Languages, Europe
- For Basque, Komi and the Sami languages (indigenous languages) and Belarussian, Breton, Frisian, Galician, Gascon, Ladino, Limousin, Sorbian and Yiddish (endangered languages) go to Less commonly taught languages page. You will also find some links on the French page for languages spoken on its territory.
North America, Central America and South America
- Abya Yala Net . Abya Yala Net is a project of the South and Meso American Indian Rights Center (SAIIC) in collaboration with NativeWeb, presenting information on Indigenous peoples in Mexico, Central, and South America.
- American Indian Studies Research Institute at the University of Indiana.
- Centro Cultural Abya-Yala cultural centre for Latin American indigenous groups. In Spanish.
- Index of Native American Language Resources on the Internet
- Native Languages.org preserving and promoting native American languages
- Native American Language Center at the Department of Native American Studies, University of California at Davis.
- Native American Languages from NativeWeb
- Society for the Study of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas
- Native American Books and Native American Videos
- Project for the Documentation of the Languages of Mesoamerica
- Smithsonian Institution Research Information System
- UCLA American Indian Studies Center
- Words in English from Amerindian Languages including the origin words. Compiled by Mark Rosenfelder.
- Summer Institute of Linguistic in Mexico information about indigenous languages and culture in Mexico
- Specific languages
- Alaska Native Languages
- Aymara Aymara.org The Sounds of the Andean languages contains audio files. The film Che which is in the library contains some Aymara dialogues.
- Raven's Tsalagi Site for Cherokee which includes a gif of the Cherokee syllabary, which was created by Sequoyah. The syllabary has been described as 'one of the most impressive intellectual feats achieved by a single man'. Cherokees of California, Inc
- Danny Ammon's Hupa Language Homepage
- FAMSI Foundation for the Advancement of MesoAmerican Studies, Inc.
- UNESCO forum of Garifuna nation
- Innu Nation Homepage
- Inuktitut living dictionary
- Inupiak dictionary
- Inupiak parser project
- Mayan writing
- Smokey McKinney's Prairie Band Potawatomi Web Potawatomi page from Omniglot
- Shoshone Language Home Page
- Dakota Language Homepage
- Peru Links
Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific
- Ainu Language word list
- Ainu Grammar
- Ainu for Beginners
- Ainu related resources in English or Japanese
- Australian Indigenous Languages . The Internet Library for Australian Languages.
- Australian Languages . From David Nash at the Australian National University.
- Handbook of Western Australian Aboriginal Languages South of the Kimberley Region . Compiled by Nicholas Thieberger.
- Kualono . Hawaiian language web service, from the University of Hawai'i. Requires a Hawaiian font, which is downloadable from the site.
- The Maori Bibliography from the University of Waikato Library.
- Peter J. Keegan's Maori Language Web Pages .
- Mwenda.com Maori language page .
- Te Taurawhiri i te Reo Maori - The Maori Language Commission
- Japanese-Okinawan Okinawan-Japanese dictionary
- Okinawan page from Omniglot