Below are the links to the external websites. Language Centre takes no responsibility for the content of these websites.
CALL and MOOCs
CALL (computer assisted language learning) softwares held at Oxford University Language Centre
Pdf (warning: some old material might not be longer compatible with our new computers)
Language Learning Technology Journal
- Coursera an impressive collection of MOOCs (massive open online course) from the best universities in the world, available in English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Portuguese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Hebrew, German and Italian
- edX an impressive collection of MOOCs from the best universities in the world, including Oxford University
- Future Learn a UK MOOCs platform from the Open University with quite free language learning courses
- Canvas network a variety of MOOCs
All the dictionaries listed below will not have the same quality as online referential material offered by the
OXLIP+ platform of Oxford University
for University staff and students
dictionaries with some audio-files (machine generated)
- Lexilogos a gateway in French to many dictionaries including less commonly taught languages.
Links to online dictionaries for multiple languages
A gateway to general and specialist dictionaries and word lists plus grammar and morphology in a variety of languages. Includes look up in English and many other languages, translations from one language to another plus some very unusual combinations of bilingual dictionaries.
Atlas on Endangered Languages
- Bibliu.com an innovative way of learning a language
- Cambridge University Language Centre open courseware
- CEELBAS language repository for Bulgarian, Croatian, Czeck, Estonian, Finnish, Georgian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Ukrainian
- Corpora in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish
Links from the library's
Digital Dialects website
Language learning for more than 50 languages
Languages of the world
- Europeana books, sounds, videos, music and art, mainly from Europe
Google News Archive
a collection of hundreds of digitised newspapers
- How to learn any language a phonetics view
A catalogue of over 2500 language-releated internet resources
- FAMiliarization a website with language learning for many languagers including less commonly taught, from DLIFLC, Monterey, U.S.A.
- FSI language courses from the Foreign Service Institute, U.S.A.
- Languages online several languages available, for beginners only as it only introduces a few points of vocabulary and grammar
- Learn Language online created by a student from Oxford University, for Chinese, French, Japanese and Russian
from Newcastle University with many podcasts
Linguistics at Oxford
- List of newspapers links to newspapers around the world
- LORO (Languages Open Resources Online) from the Open University
MIT course material
Modern Languages at Oxford
- Multilanguage 1webs directory
writing systems and languages for the world. A referential site created and updated by
thousands of newspapers online
- Readlang many languages combinations possible, European framework of language levels (A1 to C2)
Language Resources Directory. A wide variety of language resources available on the Internet including dictionaries, grammar, online courses, translation, literature and author sites.
a Newcastle University Project for Routes into Languages, full of videos and audio materials
the free encyclopedia online
Language Exchange and Language Cards (Flashcards)
- Oxford University Language Centre exchange available for members of the University. On display in the ground floor. If you cannot find the language you are looking for, fill up a form and give it to reception.
- Anki language cards
- byki language cards
- Duolinguo learning online with others
language exchange (some parts of the service not free)
- Cardkiwi language cards
- FairTradeLanguageSchool online courses including some less commonly spoken languages
- Melting Point language exchange via skype
- Memrise language cards, works also well with smart phone
- Naboomboo a brand new language exchange site
- Quizlet language cards
- Seagull Tandem there are 80 topics sheets in each language, 60 covering CEFR levels A1, A2, B1, B2
- UniBabel.co.uk language exchange created by an Oxford University graduate. You can also search by city.
ABYZ News Links
Portal for links to media across the world.
- Multiple Language Radio Stations
Television & Films
The Library has television for the following channels: Al Jazeerah (Arabic) BBC (English) TV5, France 5/Arte (French), NDR, ZDF (German) Rai Uno (Italian) RTPI (Portuguese from Portugal) Russia24 (Russian) TVE (Spanish, Spain).
- Films online from the Open Culture website
- Conjugation.io verb conjugations in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Verbs Online
practice in verb conjugation for French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and English.