Pre-sessional Course in Academic English
An Intensive online English course for international students
Over the weeks, students will learn to write accurate, well-organised papers in a style appropriate to their discipline, and to use a range of reading techniques to improve their critical reading and note-taking skills. Students will practise their spoken English, learning how to express their ideas clearly and concisely, and to interact effectively and appropriately with others in seminar style classes and during presentations. Furthermore, students will receive advice and practice on improving their listening skills. Specifically, the Online Summer Pre-sessional English Course will help students:
- Write academic English for different audiences and purposes
- Understand grammatical aspects of language that pose difficulty for non-native writers
- Read more effectively, with increased efficiency and speed
- Improve their pronunciation and learn to speak confidently in lectures, seminars and tutorials
- Develop academic study skills such as searching for information and referencing sources
Information about the course fee for next Pre-sessional course 2022 will be published on this page in due course.
There are a number of reasons to choose the Oxford Online Pre-sessional:
- You are able to follow the course from the convenience of your own home, and do not need to travel to Oxford
- The course is specifically designed for online delivery. Using cutting edge technology and software, the course follows the same curriculum, and offers the same quality of experience, as our in-person offering
- You will not miss out on personal feedback and social interactions. Over the weeks, you will:
- receive regular personalised tutorials and feedback with University of Oxford language tutors
- have the opportunity to meet and socialise with students from around the world in a virtual classroom environment
- The course is open to all students with conditional or unconditional offers from Oxford University
- Graduate offer holders can use the English language Pre-sessional Course to meet their English language condition provided they have an English language test result within the past two years, which is no more than 0.5 IELTS points overall lower than the Standard or Higher level, as required for their academic course (equivalencies for other tests can be found here). Offer holders will need to provide evidence of their English language test result before being admitted to the Pre-sessional course. The successful completion of the Pre-sessional at the required level will satisfy the English language condition and assessment will be completed in time for visa applications. An offer holder who narrowly fails to pass the Pre-sessional at the required level for their academic course will be allowed to make good their deficiency in the relevant skill by taking an appropriate course in-term in Academic English at the Language Centre.
- Graduate offer holders who wish to use the English language Pre-sessional Course to meet their English language condition should contact their academic department before enrolling on the course.
- The course will also accept international academics and students intending to study at other universities
- Oxford University requires evidence of ability in English for admission to its courses. Please see the University’s English language requirements for undergraduate study, graduate study and advice for applicants and offer holders during Covid-19.
- A visa is not required for the online Pre-sessional course
The assessments will cover all four key skills; reading, writing, listening and speaking and will take place throughout the duration of the course.