Pre-sessional Course in Academic English
An Intensive online English course for international students
Over the weeks, students will learn to write accurate, well-organised papers in a style appropriate to their discipline, and to use a range of reading techniques to improve their critical reading and note-taking skills. Students will practise their spoken English, learning how to express their ideas clearly and concisely, and to interact effectively and appropriately with others in seminar style classes and during presentations. Furthermore, students will receive advice and practice on improving their listening skills. Specifically, the Online Summer Pre-sessional English Course will help students:
- Write academic English for different audiences and purposes
- Understand grammatical aspects of language that pose difficulty for non-native writers
- Read more effectively, with increased efficiency and speed
- Improve their pronunciation and learn to speak confidently in lectures, seminars and tutorials
- Develop academic study skills such as searching for information and referencing sources
The course fee is £2400. If your application is accepted, you will be sent a link to the Oxford University Online Store in order to pay the full balance of the course. Once your payment has been made, your place on the course will be confirmed.
There are a number of reasons to choose the Oxford Online Pre-sessional:
- You are able to follow the course from the convenience of your own home, and do not need to travel to Oxford
- The course is specifically designed for online delivery. Using cutting edge technology and software, the course follows the same curriculum, and offers the same quality of experience, as our in-person offering
- You will not miss out on personal feedback and social interactions. Over the five weeks, you will:
- receive regular personalised tutorials and feedback with University of Oxford language tutors
- have the opportunity to meet and socialise with students from around the world in a virtual classroom environment
- The course is open to all students with conditional or unconditional offers from Oxford University
- The course will also accept international academics and students intending to study at other universities
- Oxford University requires evidence of ability in English for admission to its courses. Please see the University’s English language requirements for undergraduate study, graduate study and advice for applicants and offer holders during Covid-19.
- A visa is not required for the online Pre-sessional course
The assessments will cover all four key skills; reading, writing, listening and speaking and will take place throughout the duration of the course.