Writing a Thesis or Dissertation
A course for international students who are either writing, or preparing to write, a dissertation or thesis for their degree course at Oxford
Course Timetable: Trinity Term 2023 - Week 9 Intensive
|Mode of delivery||Duration||Day and time of classes||Date of first class||Date of final class|
|ENROL||Online||5 days||Monday 17.00-19.00
|19 June 2023||23 June 2023|
- Enrolment will close at 12 noon on Thursday of Week 8 of term (15 June 2023).
To ensure that we have time to set you up with access to our Virtual Learning Environment (Canvas), please make sure you have enrolled and paid no later than five working days before your course starts.
MT = Michaelmas Term (October - December); HT = Hilary Term (January - March); TT = Trinity Term (April-June)
This course is designed for international students who are either writing, or preparing to write, a dissertation or thesis for their degree course at Oxford. Each lesson focuses on a different part of the thesis/dissertation/articles (Introductions, Literature Reviews, Discussions etc.), as well as the expected structure and linguistic conventions. Building upon the foundational understanding provided by our other Academic English courses (particularly Introduction to Academic Writing and Grammar, and Key Issues), this course prepares students for the challenges of organising, writing and revising a thesis or dissertation.
- Gain an understanding of the different organisational structures used within Humanities, Social Sciences and Natural Sciences dissertations and theses
- Consider works of previous Oxford students in order to understand the common structural, linguistic and stylistic issues that arise when drafting a research project
- Increase competence in incorporating citations into texts, including choosing appropriate tenses and reporting verbs
- Learn how to structure the various parts of a dissertation or thesis (Introduction, Literature Review, Discussion, Conclusion and Abstract)
For Learners with an Oxford University SSO (Single Sign-On) simply click on the enrol button next to the class that you wish to join.
For Learners without an Oxford University SSO, or who are not members of the University, once enrolment opens, please email email@example.com with the following details:
- Full name
- Email address and phone number
- The name of the course you wish to study
- The start date and time of the course
- Your connection to Oxford University, if any (to determine course fee)
We will then provisionally enrol you onto the course and send you a link to the Oxford University Online Store for payment. Once payment is received we will confirm your place on the course. Please note that we will be unable to assist you until enrolment has opened, so please do not send us your enrolment details in advance.
- Taught in Weeks 2-8 of term
- Seminars per week: 1
- Length of seminar: 2 hours
- Academic English tutor will provide all materials
Intensive course structure
- One week intensive course
- Taught in week 9 of term (Monday - Friday)
- Number of classes throughout the week: 5
- Length of class: 2-3 hours
- Total hours of tuition over the week: 14