THE UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD LANGUAGE CENTRE
COURSE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY. IT CONTAINS IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CONTRACT WITH THE UNIVERSITY
PLEASE NOTE THAT LANGUAGE CENTRE COURSES ARE PRIMARILY INTENDED FOR MEMBERS OF THE UNIVERSITY. THIS GENERALLY MEANS THAT ANY EXTERNAL STUDENTS SHOULD BE AT LEAST 17 YEARS OLD WHEN THEY START THE COURSE. APPLICANTS WHO ARE OF SCHOOL AGE SHOULD PURSUE OTHER OPTIONS FOR LEARINING LANGUAGES.
Contract with the University
1. The purpose of these Terms and Conditions is to set out the contractual basis for your relationship with the University, and to draw your attention to key terms.
2. Your contract with the University is made up of:
a. these Terms and Conditions,
b. the course description on the course web page which is available through http://www.lang.ox.ac.uk/language-courses (you should consider printing a copy of this page as a record of the information provided),
c. the confirmation of your place from the Language Centre,
d. the University’s Statutes and Regulations, and rules and policies made under them (see paragraphs 5 and 6 below).
3. Your formal offer of a place at the Language Centre is set out in the email from the Language Centre (the “Offer”). By accepting your Offer you enter into your contract with the University.
4. You will enter into this contract with the University even if your fees are paid by a third party on your behalf.
University Statutes, Regulations and Policies
5. By paying your fees you agree to comply with the University’s Statutes and Regulations as amended from time to time and with the Statements and Codes of Policy, Practice and Procedure which are made under them. These include the University’s Code of Discipline, and other regulations concerning your studies, conduct and behaviour including regulations relating to harassment, the use of IT facilities, health and safety issues and legislative requirements such as data protection.
6. You may be removed or suspended from the course if the University considers that you are in breach of any of these rules including the Code of Discipline.
7. Regular attendance is vital in order to make progress with your course and your Language Centre tutor must be notified of any absence from your class, preferably by email.
Fees and Payment
8. Details of the fees and charges you will have to pay are set out on the course web page.
9. Payment is via the University’s online course booking system ‘Accessplanit’ for internal members of the University with an Oxford Single Sign on account. If you are not a student or member of staff at the University, payment is via the University’s Online Store (a link will be provided with your Offer email). Payment in cash is not accepted.
10. It is your responsibility to ensure that the University's fees for the course are paid before the first day of the course, or any earlier deadline which is notified to you.
11. If your fees are to be paid by a third party which informs the Language Centre that it accepts full liability for your fees, then the University will invoice the third party directly and will seek to recover any unpaid fees from the third party in the first instance. However, the University reserves the right to seek payment from you if recovery from the third party is unsuccessful.
12. The University reserves the right to refuse you admission to your course if you have not paid all course fees.
13. All payments must be in GB Pounds Sterling. You must pay any currency conversion costs or other charges incurred in making the payment or in processing a refund.
Cancellations and refunds
14. You have the right to cancel your contract at any time within 14 days of payment. Unless the course has started (in which case see point 15 below), you will receive a full refund of any payments you have made and no administration fee will be charged.
15. If your course is due to start within 14 days of payment and you then wish to cancel after your course has started, you will be required to pay for any part of your course that has taken place before you gave notice of cancellation. This amount will be calculated on a pro rata basis and no administration fee will be charged.
16. To cancel within 14 days please inform us by email to email@example.com. Please write the name of your course in the subject-line of your email. For internal members of the University with an Oxford Single Sign on account, cancellation prior to the start of the course can be made via the University’s online course booking system ‘Accessplanit’.
17. If you fail to attend the first two classes of a term without notifying the Language Centre, you will be considered to have withdrawn and your place may be offered to a person on the waiting list. If you do not attend three consecutive classes over the course of the year, it will be assumed that you wish to withdraw from the course and your record will be officially withdrawn from our register.
18. If you cancel your place on a course at any time after expiry of the 14 day period you will not be entitled to a refund, except at the discretion of the University. If a refund is made an administration fee of £20 will be charged.
19. Subject to approval and availability, you may be able to transfer your enrolment to a different Language Centre course, subject to any administration fees. Course fees already paid can be transferred to the new course, and any outstanding balance must be paid in full before the place can be confirmed. No refund will be given if the new course costs less than the original course. You will also be charged a £20 administration fee. Any request for a transfer must be made to the Language Centre administration at firstname.lastname@example.org.
20. If you believe you have exceptional circumstances and wish to request to cancel your place after 14 days of payment, please write to us as early as possible by email to email@example.com. Please explain the exceptional circumstances behind your cancellation request, details of the course you wish to cancel and your receipt number. Please write the name of your course in the subject-line of your email. If a refund is made an administration fee of £20 may be charged.
Cancellation by us
21. Where there are good reasons to do so the University may cancel your course and will make every reasonable effort to give you as much notice of cancellation as possible. The University will refund all fees paid by you and will endeavour to offer a transfer to another course as an alternative, subject to payment or refund of any difference in purchase price.
22. The University’s liability when it cancels a course will be limited to a refund of any fees or charges paid for the cancelled course. For partial cancellation of a course, such refunds will be made on a proportionate basis.
Changes to Courses
23. The University will seek to deliver each course in accordance with the description set out on your course web page.
24. However, there may be situations in which it is desirable or necessary for the University to make changes in course provision, either before or after enrolment. The University therefore reserves the right to:
a. make reasonable changes to the timetable, location or tutor(s) specified for a course, including where otherwise unavoidable the cancellation of limited classes; and
b. make reasonable changes to the content and syllabus of a course.
25. If you are a student of the University, the University will collect and use your information about you in accordance with the principles set out in the University’s student fair processing notice at http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/life/it/studentrecord/data. This includes ensuring that your data will only be used in a way which is fair, lawful and secure.
29. If you have a complaint you should follow the Language Centre Complaints Policy, which is available on the Language Centre website - click here
30. Your contract with the University and any dispute arising from it (including non-contractual disputes) shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Updated: 19 September 2018